In this fast-paced training session, Guardian business journalist Jon Card will lift the lid on how the media selects stories for publication. He will also reveal the time-honoured storytelling techniques used by Oscar winning film directors, PR gurus, savvy business leaders and successful politicians to capture the attention and imagination of audiences. During this session, you'll learn why some companies gain more publicity than others, delving into the media strategies used by successful entrepreneurs such as Richard Branson, Anita Roddick, Innocent Drinks and Brewdog.
Why should this be of interest
This event, aimed at ambitious entrepreneurs, will help you execute a media campaign from start to finish and troubleshoot problems in existing campaigns. Attendees will leave this session with a far clearer understanding about how media works and how they can interact with journalists to gain publicity for their business, campaign or a client's business.
What will you gain, learn, explore, and create?
- Learn why some campaigns gain huge amounts of coverage while others fail
- Appreciate the power of effective storytelling for businesses
- Understand what companies need to do to prepare for interaction with the press
- Discover how to build the resources you'll need to launch a successful media campaign
- Find out how to identify the right journalists to contact and when to approach them
Who will be delivering the session:
Jon Card writes about business and enterprise for The Guardian, Daily Telegraph and The Times, and regularly consults with tech entrepreneurs and other business owners looking to gain press in collaboration with Innovate UK.